What can you use KiwiSaver for?
You can access your KiwiSaver funds once you reach the qualifying age for New Zealand Superannuation, currently age 65. You can withdraw all or part of your savings to use towards the purchase of your first home once you’ve been a contributing KiwiSaver member for at least three years. For more information, read our free KiwiSaver first home withdrawal guide.
You may be eligible to access some of your KiwiSaver money early if you are experiencing significant financial hardship (refer to our guide to help determine your eligibility). Although it’s important to remember that withdrawing your KiwiSaver money early can have a significant impact on your future savings. If you believe you have exhausted all other financial assistance options available to you outside of KiwiSaver and would still like to apply, please contact us by emailing KiwiSaver Early Release or calling 0508 637 237. We can talk you through the eligibility criteria, answer any queries and send you the application form.
Key KiwiSaver Facts
- KiwiSaver is a long-term investment, not a bank account. New to KiwiSaver or not sure about your long-term investment strategy? Speak to one of Mercer’s financial advisers by emailing Mercer Advice or calling 0508 637 237.
- If you have a KiwiSaver account, you are an investor and the money you contribute buys you units in different investment options (e.g. Conservative, Balanced or Growth etc.). As the value of these units go up and down, your KiwiSaver balance will change in value accordingly. Market corrections are normal over the long term.
- At varying ages and stages of life, you will be better off with different KiwiSaver investment options, which is why it’s good to check you’re in the right investment option to match your financial objectives, attitude to risk and investment time horizon.
- Mercer’s Retirement Income Simulator can help you see how fluctuating markets and what different changes in contributions and investment options could have on your future savings.
- If you’re employed, you can choose to contribute 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or 10% of your before tax salary to your KiwiSaver account and your employer has to match your contributions by at least 3%.
- You can change KiwiSaver providers by contacting the one you want to join (no switching or joining fees are charged by Mercer).
Growing your KiwiSaver money
You can grow your KiwiSaver money through contributions from yourself, your employer and the Government. The Government may be able to put as much as $521.43 into your KiwiSaver account every year. It’s good to check you're eligible to receive the maximum amount from the Government by contributing at least $1,042.86 each KiwiSaver year (between 1 July and 30 June).
Mercer KiwiSaver scheme benefits
- Performance – We have a strong track record in investment performance and our default investment option (Conservative option) has delivered strong returns. Our performance details can be found here.
- Investment Choice – Making the right KiwiSaver investment choice could make a big difference to your future first home or retirement savings and you can choose from seven investment options with Mercer. Take our five question quiz to see which investment option could be right for you and you can choose to switch investment options at the end by signing in to your online account.
- Financial advice for free - If you have any questions about maximising your KiwiSaver investment, call us on 0508 637 237 to speak to a financial adviser for free. You can also request a call back online or email NZAdvice@mercer.com.
- Experience – Mercer’s significant scale in researching investment managers globally provides us with access to some of the best ideas from more than 6,380 investment managers globally and over 34,500 different strategies (as at 31 March 2019).
This product is issued by Mercer (N.Z.) Limited. For information about this product, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement. This information has been prepared by Mercer (N.Z.) Limited.
The information contained on this page is intended for general guidance only and is not personalised to you. It does not take into account your particular financial situation or goals. Before making any investment decision, you should refer to the Product Disclosure Statement or consult an appropriately authorised adviser. The Mercer KiwiSaver scheme was rated “best value for money” in the SuperRatings’ 2020 KiwiSaver scheme assessment and you can view the award criteria here.